Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act

"All across the nation, schools are debuting new lunches featuring smaller portions, more fruits and vegetables, and fewer calories, mandated (PDF) as part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act."  
The above is the gist of the new mandate that requires schools to serve healthy lunches to kids.  In theory it is a great idea, and I want to go on record STRONGLY agreeing with the premise.  I put a lot of thought into what I eat and even more thought into what my children eat.  Much of what we discussed while reading Chew on This revolves around Americans as a whole eating poorly, the effect of fast food on us, and the causes as to why we depend on it so much.  I think that should, and eating habits in general should change.  That should, in theory, start in schools.  Since schools are made up of children, and teaching children there should be no better place to teach children how to eat.  We teach them how to read, write, add, subtract, about history and science, how to play games and draw.  Why not teach them how to eat as well.  Then, maybe the next generation of Americans will grow up to be healthier.  The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act is a good start, a good premise.  This is what a school lunch should look like:

But as students here know all too well, unfortunately, it does not.  I've been down to the cafeteria many times for one reason or another and (to no fault of anyone here) the lunches are pretty similar to what they were when I was in school pre-Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.  So what is it really accomplishing?  I understand it is supposed to add vegetables to the menu, but pizza is considered a vegetable.  A great idea, but not (yet) implemented perfectly.  Long story short, it is not perfect, maybe doesn't go far enough, but this mandate is a good start, or at least a good talking point.  So in my opinion, I begrudgingly support the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids act.  Do you?

11 comments:

  1. I support how they are trying to give us fruits and vegetables but I'm against it. The food that the school supplies is t all that great and most kids don't even eat until they get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think schools should add a few healthy foods to the menu but not change the entire menu. If they do change it entirely students won't have enough energy to focus in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't sport the hunger free kids act

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that we should not eat healthy because we need energy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I support the Healthy, Hunger-free kids act.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am agencies the hunger free kid act

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we should not support Heathly Hunger Free Kids Acts because students need energy to learn and athletic need energy to play sports.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I support the idea of healthy eating but I agree that things need to be changed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't agree because we don't get as much calories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not like a lot of healthly food so when I get something I don't like I will refuse to eat it and rather starve. So I would not eat at school if we are served all health foods

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that it's a bad idea because some student might not like vegetables or fruit or they may not be use to eating healthy.

    ReplyDelete